I was elected as Newport West’s first Assembly Member in May 1999 and have been re-elected in each subsequent Assembly election.
In the First Assembly, I was appointed as the Minister for pre-16 Education and Children, and chaired the Culture, Welsh Language and Sport Committee, and served as the Deputy Presiding Officer of the National Assembly for Wales before being elected to the position of Presiding Officer of the National Assembly by a unanimous vote of Assembly Members in May 2011. I was awarded the DBE in the New Year’s Honours list in 2013.
Organisations that I am closely involved with include:
- Honorary Doctor of the University of South Wales, Newport
- Honorary Fellow of Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Founder of Newport Women’s Forum
- Founding member of the Newport-Kutaisi Twinning Association
- President of the Friends of Newport Transporter Bridge President of Newport Harriers Athletic Club
- President of Rogerstone Band
- Honorary life member of Newport Sports Council
- Life member of Newport Cricket Club
- Founder member of the Friends of Tredegar House
- Ambassador for Girl Guiding
- Founder member of Newport Women’s Aid
- Patron of Caerleon Arts Festival
I am delighted to represent the people of Newport West at the National Assembly for Wales, and I hold regular surgeries in the constituency.